
The weather has been beautiful and daylight is drawing to a close.
I sit here on the garden swing supervising the kids as they play on the neighbors playground...the tree house off in the background.
The temperature is mild and cool, the trees are rustling in the breeze, and the shadows continue to climb up the hillside as the sun falls from the sky behind me.
Kids are swinging and sliding, climbing and running, twirling, chasing and laughing. Imaginations are in full bloom. Age seems to be no matter. The "fives" and the "elevens" co-mingle in bliss.
Greens, browns, yellows and oranges...hills and vales, gullies and rises...rocks and twigs, littles and bigs...leaves and berries, trolls and fairies--a backyard garden produces them all!
Soon it will be time for me, the adult (but am I really one), to leave MY world of idilic daydreaming and return to the drudgery of acting mature, of living with deadlines, and of curbing my imagination so that I won't seem to other adults (who also just wish they could play) like I am wasting away the day in frivolous fantasia. Euphoria would be the better word. Isn't that what we all seek.
Soon the sun will sleep again. This I know because the breeze has picked up; the shadows have deepened. All that lives in the garden is aglow with the remnants of day.
The French call this event "l'aube"......we call it "dusk", but wherever you are when it happens, one thing about it is predictably and forever the same.......that it occurs during the last few moments of "day".
Good evening to you "day"....
til I see you next....
tomorrow!
Enjoyed your writing on dusk!
ReplyDelete